?

Log in

The man who would be king

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website
> previous 10 entries

May 19th, 2010


08:22 pm
egalitarianism can go jump of a big fucking cliff

so can policy

and sustainability.

ok.

i'm done.

(Leave a comment)

April 14th, 2010


07:05 pm - ceeebbsss
I am wayyy to tired to even start thinking about problems in implementing policy and practical reconciliation and the failings of the insulation scheme.

It's either that or a 1400 critical analysis of a three page article on machoism (yes it is a word) in football.

fml.
Current Mood: tired
Current Music: Washington - 80 miles

(Leave a comment)

March 15th, 2010


10:36 am
 So I very rarely use this, and nobody reads it, but I kinda like it that way, purely because that way I can do my own thing and say my own thing and I don't have to answer to anyone.

It is also a great way to procrastinate from uni at the moment. I figure I can write a bit, then watch the football, then go to work and I will feel like I've done something at least.

Today is Monday. It's been three days since I watched the last episode of Skins and I'm still traumatised by it. Like a lot. I randomly get the scene of Freddie's blood hitting the glass from behind the door and it literally makes me shudder. It's disgusting and horrible and does not make one shred of sense in the whole story line.

The worst part of it is that with only one episode left, and a load more to tie up (Naomi/Emily) how the fuck are they going to fit it all in. It makes me so angry. I have no problem with killing off characters in shows, but this was so completely out of the blue... and like... whhhy? I've always loved Skins for being realistic in its portrayal of teenage life, but what the hell was that? 

I love this season of Skins, but I've noticed it reallllly affect my moods afterwards, its incredible, and intense, but if something is still affecting me days later then maybe it's not such a good thing? And the fact I haven't been able to watch any episodes again isn't particularly good either...

I don't know. I guess I'll have to see what happens this Thursday before I make any final call.

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

January 26th, 2009


10:37 am - For the sake of

Firstly - Australia Day. The 26th of January. In my opinion, a stupid day to celebrate Australianness. The day, in 1788 that the British landed in Australia. I don't want to get into the politics of this day, however, I will say that the day which started the systematic genocide of indigenous Australians for almost 200 years is not a day I wish to celebrate.

Alternatives?
  • 1st of January (1901), was the day the country of Australia came into being. Surely this day is one more worth celebrating. The problem with this, is the first of January is already a public holiday, which effectively means we'd have one less during the year. No one is really going to support this.
  • 27th of May (1967), the day white Australians voted to allow indigenous Australians the right to vote. It is a day that signifies equality in the country. Surely more of a day to be proud of than the 26th of January. Many people I have spoken to, however, do not want a public holiday in May.
  • The most practical day to replace "Australia Day", should be the day that Australia declares (or votes for) its independence from Great Britain. This day has not arrived yet, however I hold hope that it will eventually. And when it does, surely it is more cause for celebration than the day Australia was invaded by the British.
Hopefully the country gets on with it so we can have a real day in this country to be proud of.

Until then, the only good thing about Australia day (public holiday aside), is the Hottest 100.


(Leave a comment)

January 18th, 2009


12:39 pm - Books books books
Books I have read recently:

- The Alana Chronicles (books 1 through 4) - Tamora Pierce

I first read these books when I was 12. The books follow a young women who dreams of becoming a knight. I loved the books back then, I was a tomboy growing up, who dreamt the same, or similar dreams as Alana. I bought these books over the internet and proceeded to read them in the space of five days. They are really fantastic books, usually - when I re-read books that are meant for a younger audience now, I pick up the writing flaws in them, but they were not as simple as I anticipated.

- Forest of Silence - Emily Rodda (Deltora Quest book 1)
Another series I adored when I was younger, I found them the other night when I was in my little sisters room. It astounds me how quickly I get through these books now, they are still brilliant. I recall trying to read the series after the initial Deltora Quest and I couldn't get through it, sort of like a terrible sequel to a really good movie. Nevertheless, the original series remains one of my favourite.

- Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
I struggled to get through this book, perhaps because of the language, I put it down and picked it up too many times to count, however it was a really fantastic read, Bradbury has written many short stories, which eventually morphed into Fahrenheit 451. I will at some point look into these, because they do sound rather interesting.

- Monster Love - Carol Topolski
I am still unsure of my feelings towards Monster Love. It was an incredibly good book, written in a style which is hard to pull off, but was portrayed very well by Topolski. The story itself is the kind that haunts the reader long after it is finished. It forces you, too an extent, to sympathise with the two characters who commit a crime, an act so horrid that it is hard to even think about. I read this book very quickly, it was hard to put down, but at the same time it was deeply unsettling. If the subject matter can be stomached, it is well worth a read.

- The Watchmen - Allan Moore
This graphic novel would easily be in my top 10 books of all time. I find it hard to concentrate when reading graphic novels, because of the different way in which they need to be viewed, it is almost like you need to read them from a different mindset. But this is another one I couldn't put down. The issues in which it deals with are relevant to todays world. The movie is suppose to be out sometime in March (pending the outcome of a court case), from the previews it looks fantastic. One thing I noticed was the trailer was given an R rating, which means (importantly) that is was not toned down in order to appeal to a larger audience.

- The Desperate Mission - Jude Watson (Last of the Jedi, book 1)
I love Star Wars, which is no secret. I'll read pretty much anything that is related to the films (I have put off getting into the New Jedi Order books though). This series was bought to my attention by a child I served at work, and I picked up the first in the series shortly after. The novels are aimed at children (in our intermediate fiction section), but they are still good, set just after the fall of the Republic and tell the story of Obi Wan Kenobi and other Jedi who were not killed during Order 66. I found this interesting specifically because it shows Obi Wan's state of mind during his self imposed exile watching over Luke on Tattooine. If you think about the state of the galaxy at that point in time, even from a Jedi's point of view, the feeling of despair and helplessness would be overwhelming. Everything you ever knew, believed in, fought for, had been destroyed. Betrayed by your best friend, brother. Even for a Jedi as powerful as Kenobi, the knowledge of these facts would be almost unbearable. I like how he gains perspective during this story, and grows to really appreciate how important his mission on Tattooine is. It also tells the story of the first sparks of the Rebel Alliance, which aids the understanding of the context in which the original movies are set.

I love Star Wars mainly because of its portrayal of good and evil, light and dark. Reading the EU (expanded universe) broadens the idea of Jedi vs Sith in a way that makes the whole universe more interesting and thought provoking. I dislike, in the newer movies, the Jedi prophecy of "the one who will bring balance to the force", the force cannot exist without the dark side. Even after Return of the Jedi, the sith exist. They will always exist. The dark side is simply human nature. The jedi must fight against their own nature to be as pure as they are, which was eventually their undoing. Something that was realised by Kenobi and Yoda towards the end of Revenge of the Sith. Another book I will maybe get around to talking about is the first Darth Bane book, I may have to reread it first, but the sith perspective on life and the force is as interesting, if not more interesting than the jedi perspective.

- The Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling
- For one more day - Mitch Albom
- Five people you meet in heaven - Mitch Albom

What I am reading now:

Diary of a bad year - J.M Coetzee
Lake of tears - Emily Rodda (Deltora Quest book 2)

Books I need to finish:
Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klien
Touched by the devil - Andy Shea
Mother Tongue - Bill Bryson
Jon Shannow books - David Gemmel

Books I want to read:
Independence Day - Richard Ford
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz

Books that I love
A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson
Anything by David Gemmel

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

November 11th, 2008


11:20 am - Equality.

I live in Australia, it is a fair, and free country in almost every aspect, we boast about living in a free country, where you can walk down any street and are safe, where under no circumstances capital punishment is sanctioned, where we have free health care, and a decent welfare system - however, our laws regarding equality, regarding the right of Australian citizens to marry whom they choose are not even on par with the US.

It broke my heart to see Prop 8 pass in California last Tuesday. Although I am a world away from the US, I cannot look at the passing of this amendment and not feel despair, not only for those in California, but for what this means for me, as an Australian.

I am also a citizen of Uruguay, a small 97% catholic country in South America, and THERE, as a gay women - I have more rights than "one of the best countries in the world", in Australia.

Most people over there do not agree with gay unions, in fact there is far more homophobia, and intolerance than in Australia, however it is LEGAL for gays to marry, and adopt, purely because, whilst the overwhelming majority of the people may be homophobic, and may not agree, it is recognised that the government has no place infringing on the rights of citizens.

It is recognised that the issue is not about gay marriage, gay rights, religion, or so called morality - it is about equality and fairness. It is about all persons being equal, and treated fairly and respect – if not by others, by the law.

It astounds me that a small, predominantly religious country, in the heart of South America could have more progressive laws than that of two Western countries, in the USA and Australia.

The passing of Prop 8 may not affect me physically. My rights in Australia will not change, but a step back this substantial in the US, is an even further step back for Australia.

I want nothing more than to sit down with our Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, and the other leaders of this country and explain to them that Gay Marriage is more than appeasing a hostile electorate, it is much more than religion, or the whims of a society. It is about equality, and the rights of all citizens under the law of this country.

I am 19, I am a gay women, and I want the same things as most people do, I want the house in the suburbs, with the white picket fence, the dog, the 2.1 kids. The ONLY difference is the person that I will end up with, who I will devote myself too, will be the same sex as I.

I work, I pay my taxes, I vote, I obey the law - It makes me angry beyond belief to even think that who I love, and am attracted to (an element that is not within my control I might add), is the only difference between me and the other 20 million Australians who are "more equal" than me in the eyes of the law.

Every time there is a step back in the rights of Gay and Lesbian people in Australia, in the United States – or anywhere else in the world, I laugh it off -  I turn to my friends and say “oh well, lets just move to Canada”, but since Prop 8 has passed. I have learnt one lesson.

We in Australia, cannot hide from the prejudice of our own people, of our own government any longer, by joking about moving to Canada, or by laughing it off. We cannot talk about making a difference somewhere else, or admire the thousands of people, gay and straight who are standing up for equality in California, and the rest of the US, and then move on with our marginalised lives here in Australia.

We must fight for our own rights, our own freedom, and our own equality, as Paul Martin, the former Prime Minister of Canada said "We must always remember that 'separate but equal' is not equal", and in a country as fair, and free as Australia, we deserve nothing less than equality.


Current Mood: rage

(Leave a comment)

February 12th, 2006


06:34 pm
Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off.

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

January 16th, 2006


08:36 pm

Stand and deliver - Sarah Mcleod

They told me that we'd get along alright
This kind of shit is always so shite
Not tonight, not tonight

And in a blinding flash of self esteem
I tried it on you know what I mean
Yeah I'm alright, I'm alright

And I tried not to let you get me
But I tell you somethin' baby
It aint that easy

Stand and deliver it right and tell me everything
I'll be your best friend honey
Don't you want to make it with me

You called me up to say what's going on
I've been a shaking for you so long
That's alright, I can fight

And I found this madness sinking through me
And I'm getting kind of worried
What's happening to me

Stand and deliver it right and tell me everything
I'll be your best friend honey
Don't you want to make it with me

You say you're over it now, but is it over you
And I've been looking for reason inside the truth
This journey better not be ending soon
Cause there's so much to say
We should give it away
But every second lost is a cryin' shame

So come on stand and deliver it right and tell me everything
I'll be your best friend honey
Don't you want to make it with me


(Leave a comment)

03:04 pm
Painting songs, also known as Days and Days - Tegan and Sara

it must be something in the way you walk
it must be something in the way you talk
I'm not sure just yet
must be something in the way you dream
you just go home, more than thirteen days
inbetween you and I
this is me before I fall apart
this is me before I come undone
I've been tired for days and days
I've been tired for days and days
wishing that i had a fortune though
all the beauty and i say stop
why won't you be mine
must be something in the way you taste
lips of magic sauce and i say stop
why won't you be mine
this is me before I fall apart
this is me before I come undone
I've been tired for days and days
I've been tired for days and days
well it could have been a month or
it could have been a year but I
I gave up long before
long before you cared
her art inspired me to
to do my best and
to paint my music like
like I saw it best and
she says I grew up well
well, well I grew up strong
cause no one's got my back
no one's gonna write me my songs
it could have been a month or
it could have been a year but I
I gave up long before
cause I've been tired for days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
it could have been a month or
it could have been a year but I
I gave up long before
long before you cared
her art inspired me to
to do my best and
to paint my music like
like I saw it best and
she says I grew up well
well, well I grew up strong
cause no one's got my back
no one's gonna write me my songs
it could have been a month or
it could have been a year but I
I gave up long before
cause I've been tired for days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days
I've been tired for days and days and days



Current Music: as above

(Leave a comment)

January 3rd, 2006


10:44 pm
And This Too Shall Pass

One day Solomon decided to humble Benaiah ben Yehoyada, his most trusted minister. He said to him, "Benaiah, there is a certain ring that I want you to bring to me. I wish to wear it for Sukkot which gives you six months to find it."

"If it exists anywhere on earth, your majesty," replied Benaiah, "I will find it and bring it to you, but what makes the ring so special?"

"It has magic powers," answered the king. "If a happy man looks at it, he becomes sad, and if a sad man looks at it, he becomes happy." Solomon knew that no such ring existed in the world, but he wished to give his minister a little taste of humility.

Spring passed and then summer, and still Benaiah had no idea where he could find the ring. On the night before Sukkot, he decided to take a walk in one of he poorest quarters of Jerusalem. He passed by a merchant who had begun to set out the day's wares on a shabby carpet. "Have you by any chance heard of a magic ring that makes the happy wearer forget his joy and the broken-hearted wearer forget his sorrows?" asked Benaiah.

He watched the grandfather take a plain gold ring from his carpet and engrave something on it. When Benaiah read the words on the ring, his face broke out in a wide smile.

That night the entire city welcomed in the holiday of Sukkot with great festivity. "Well, my friend," said Solomon, "have you found what I sent you after?" All the ministers laughed and Solomon himself smiled.

To everyone's surprise, Benaiah held up a small gold ring and declared, "Here it is, your majesty!" As soon as Solomon read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. The jeweler had written three Hebrew letters on the gold band: _gimel, zayin, yud_, which began the words "_Gam zeh ya'avor_" -- "This too shall pass."

At that moment Solomon realized that all his wisdom and fabulous wealth and tremendous power were but fleeting things, for one day he would be nothing but dust.


(Leave a comment)

> previous 10 entries
> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com